Thursday, December 15, 2011

This is your chance VOTE!

When I was in grade school, I remember the Eisenhower and Stephenson campaign. I couldn’t have been but maybe in the 1st grade. It frightened me.

I heard Mr. Stephenson claiming that if Eisenhower was elected President we would be attacked. To a child who was young after the World War era and in the midst of the Korean conflict, it had a profound effect on me. We had nuclear attack drills once a month, and although I am not sure how my classmates felt, I perceived that I saw fear even on the faces of the adults.

Those early years formed my belief that voting was of utmost importance in the formation of this nation, and was necessary in order to ensure that everyone had the opportunity to have freedom and liberty.

I clearly remember the 1959 election. I stayed up until the TV stations went off the air (yes, they were only on a certain number of hours each day) to see the coverage. Yes. I was a Republican, and continued to be a Republican even during my time in the military.

I received a fax from Congressman Tom Reynolds asking if I would accept an appointment to the National Republican Congressional Committee and serve on the Business Advisory Council representing my state. I accepted, even though I was in the middle of starting a Corporation.

It was during those 3 years that I saw a new membership of the party that was very frightening - the Neo-Conservatives. This bunch was so far from the principles of the party I had supported that I felt I could no longer be a part of it.

My concern was justified after the 2010 election cycle, and the Citizens United ruling, when the keys of governance were turned over to corporate powers and the ill-informed.

I saw a once proud party reduced to a party of ridicule ..... not only in this country, but worldwide. I am not the only Republican to hold that view. There are many besides me that have said enough is enough.

We are referred to as RINOs (Republicans in Name Only). Since we are using acronyms, we can be described more accurately as RERO's (Republicans Enforcing Reality Only), and we will REPO our party from the hijackers.

In the meantime, we will work to bring the nation back into balance. Regaining that balance must come from the people using their power and voting. We must never allow this hijacking of our government to occur again. We need to have compromise ........ not just the will of the few forced on the many.

2 comments:

  1. Well said, I remember being under my desk in grammar school too!!! waiting for the bomb to drop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I switched parties w 1st Bush ..I'm not a right-winger, just fiscal conservative. Republican idea of more power to states-less to Fed Govt has reversed?? I also hold to 'Separation of Church & State' as did BEN FRANKLIN:
    "When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its professors are obliged to call for help of the civil power, ‘tis a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one."

    ReplyDelete